4/08/2009

Number one with a bullet

I'm reading: Number one with a bulletTweet this!

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not."
- Kurt  Cobain 


I remember exactly where I was when I heard the news that Kurt Cobain, then 27, had been found dead.  I had just gotten home from school and was shooting baskets in my parents front yard.  The news hit like a kick to the stomach.  Kurt meant hope for kids like me and my entire generation.  Finally, he seemed to have carved out a place in the cool kid world just for us.  His death was devastating.

Now fifteen years later, here I am still trying to find a place for myself, exactly the same age as he was when he died with a daughter exactly the same age as his.  Chills run down my back every time I acknowledge this fact.  It is strange that fifteen years later, a man who never wanted the fame he had attained has become infamous in death by those who loved him so long ago.
So, today is a day to think back to the first time you heard the Nevermind album and how ,for at least a minute, you finally felt like your voice was being heard.

Thanks Kurt.     Enjoy a clip of my favorite Nirvana song.






1 comment: